Toddlers die of injuries after car crash
Two children have died after they were involved in a car crash while sitting in their pushchairs.
Leicestershire Police said the one-year-old boy and two-year-old girl suffered serious injuries in a collision between a dark BMW, a red Mini Cooper and two pedestrians.
Both children were taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary where the boy died yesterday afternoon and the girl died during the night.
A 40-year-old woman and a 61-year-old man were arrested in connection with the incident, which happened at the junction of Narborough Road and Braunstone Gate in Leicester at 9.52am yesterday. They have since been released on police bail pending further inquiries.
The two pedestrians, both men aged 29 and 28, suffered minor injuries.
Detective Sergeant Mark Watling, of the force's serious collision investigation unit, said: "If anyone witnessed the incident or the events leading up to it and have not yet spoken to the police we would urge them to contact us."
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Leicestershire Police on 101 or, alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.