Toxic dust killed pigeon fancier

Click to follow

A champion pigeon fancier died after inhaling a toxic dust created by his birds, his grandson said.

Bill Brailsford kept his winning pigeons, sometimes as many as 170, for nearly 80 years at his home in Alvaston, Derby. An inquest in Derby heard Mr Brailsford died aged 91 from extrinsic allergic alveolitis, which is caused by dust created from pigeon food and droppings.

His 47-year-old grandson, also called Bill, said: "I would advise other pigeon fanciers to wear masks and probably not to keep so many."

The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Comments