Transport cleaners set to lobby MPs over pay and conditions
Monday 10 December 2012
Cleaners from rail and other transport firms will lobby MPs tomorrow as part of a national campaign for better pay and conditions.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union on cleaning and security contracts on East Coast Main Line, London Midland, London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, Trans Pennine Express and Tyne & Wear Metro are all currently involved in disputes and will be joining the protest at Parliament.
The RMT will launch a cleaners' charter at the lobby, setting out its demands for a living wage and improvements in pensions and working conditions.
The union's general secretary, Bob Crow, said: "RMT is kicking off an unprecedented, co-ordinated national campaign for pay justice for cleaners and security staff across the transport industry and the Parliamentary lobby and launch of the cleaners' charter is part of building the pressure behind that fight."
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...