Tube driver Anthony Rogers found guilty of sexually assaulting two women continued to work on services until after he was sentenced

Rogers, 58, was suspended by TfL five days after his sentencing, more than six months after the attacks took place 

Click to follow

A Tube driver who was found guilty of sexually assaulting two women on a London Underground train was not suspended by Transport for London (TfL) until five days after he was sentenced, around six months after he perpetrated the crime.

The Evening Standard has reported that Anthony Rogers, 58, who pleaded guilty to attacking the two women, continued to work as a train driver even after he handed himself into police, was charged, and after he underwent court proceedings.

Two women were attacked on a train at around 1 am on 14 November, in which he grabbed one of the victims and pressed himself against her. When she pushed him away he grabbed the second woman and pushed himself against her while making lewd remarks, police said at the time.

Rogers reportedly handed himself in after British Transport Police issued a CCTV image of him on the night of the attack, appealing for him to come forward or for members of the public to help identify him, which led to his arrest.


Rogers then breached his contract when he failed to tell bosses of his arrest, a source who spoke to the Evening Standard, has claimed.

After he was charged, Rogers was reportedly placed back on normal train operating duties - which included last train duties - “even though this is all against normal working practice of London Underground, their own procedures and their code of conduct,” the source claimed.

Rogers was not formally “stood down” from his duties until 22 May, the day of his sentencing, where he was reportedly given a five month suspended prison sentence, 100 hours’ community service and was placed on the sex offenders’ register for seven years.

TfL then carried out a “fact-finding” investigation under London Underground’s disciplinary procedure. He was suspended five days later on 27 May, six months after the attacks took place.

TfL did not say why Rogers was not suspended earlier on, but said that a current internal review will “look at all aspects of the case”.

In a statement, Steve Griffiths, London Underground’s Chief Operating Officer, said: “We take such allegations extremely seriously. Anthony Rogers is currently suspended and a full internal review is being carried out.”