Twenty-year-old man dies after collapsing in low temperatures while walking home from a night out in Cheltenham

Ali Bunney was wearing only a shirt and trousers when he was discovered unconscious

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A young man who collapsed and died after a night out is believed to have succumbed to the cold weather.

Ali Bunney, a 20-year-old Cardiff University student, was found unconscious at the edge of Gloucestershire Airport on Sunday afternoon, the Gloucester Citizen reported.

Despite very effort to save him, Ali died later that day. He had been due to celebrate his 21st birthday later this month.

His family believe he may have tried to walk home after a night out in Cheltenham. He was wearing only trousers and a shirt when he was found.

“We can’t believe what’s happened,” his mother, Marissa, told the Gloucester Citizen.

Ali had been out with his girlfriend, Summer Pineda, to celebrate a relative’s birthday before going to a club in Cheltenham, where he became separated from his friends.

His family believe he had left his coat with a friend in Cheltenham to take home so he didn’t have to pay to leave it in a cloakroom, and his mobile phone wasn’t working.

“We don’t know for sure why he left and why he started walking,” his younger brother, Jefferson, said.

A motorist told police that he saw a man walking alongside the A40 Golden Valley bypass at 3.20am, but officers were unable to find him.

Ali’s mother said his hands were covered in scratches, suggesting that he may have tried to climb though a hedge to reach shelter at the airport.

He was found near the perimeter fence by a dog-walker, who called 999.

He was rushed to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital where medics spent three hours trying to save his life.

“He was so cold, he was only 22 degrees,” his father, Nigel, said.

His mother added: “He went up to 27 degrees but they said they could do no more. It was very sudden.”

In a tribute posted on Facebook, Jefferson said: “It’s still a shock and we're all still in disbelief, but whether you know him well or just know of him, I'm sure you all have at least some fluffy memory of Ali to keep.

“Although we had our fights and aren't as close as we were (as kids), there has always been something that I could only talk to him about. I couldn't thank him enough for everything I've learnt from him, being 2 years behind.

“He was always first to jump in, for me to follow, he could make me laugh when I least expected, he always cares and he's the best at motivating me.

“I'm so confused... Why you Ali? Too fast, too soon man! I really wanted to see him turn dreams into his future. I wouldn't have told him - but he's a massive part of my life.

“We're lucky to have made so many memories together but I would do anything for one more minute to talk to Ali right now, as the down to earth person he is, with a massively cheesy smile.

“I guess he was needed more elsewhere.”

And Ali's father said: “As far as I was concerned, he was an absolute saint of a son and a joy to be with. He was very patient and caring, and a very well-liked person.”

Gloucestershire Airport’s head of operations, Darren Lewington said: “We can confirm that our emergency service personnel were alerted by a member of the public on Sunday to an unconscious male on a remote part of the Airport perimeter near to the A40 Golden Valley bypass.

“They attended the scene immediately and rendered first aid and CPR until the ambulance service arrived.

“On behalf of everyone at the airport, we’d like to offer our sincere condolences to Ali’s family and friends at this tragic time.”

An inquest into Ali’s death is expected to be opened today.