A leading union warned of a jobs "massacre" on transport in the capital after news that up to 250 posts are to be axed following the takeover of work from Tube maintenance giant Tube Lines.
Transport for London (TfL) said duplication of jobs and an efficiency drive will lead to managers, clerical and admin staff being laid off, adding that it was aiming to achieve the reductions through cutting temporary posts and voluntary redundancy.
Tube Lines maintained and improved the Jubilee, Piccadilly and Northern lines but its work was taken in-house earlier this year.
Andie Harper, chief executive of Tube Lines, said: "The acquisition of Tube Lines has given TfL greater flexibility to manage the vital programme of Tube upgrades, saving millions of pounds for London's fare and taxpayers.
"We are now beginning a consultation with staff and unions on the future shape of Tube Lines in the light of that acquisition.
"This includes the potential for a reduction in staff numbers as Tube Lines adjusts its activities. We would, in the first instance, look to achieve any reductions through removing temporary roles and through voluntary redundancy."
Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union, said: "We have been warning repeatedly that transport in London is being lined up for a jobs massacre and this latest announcement is another bitter blow.
"We have no doubt that even heavier cuts are being cooked up behind the scenes. Our fight for jobs and services goes on."
Meanwhile it emerged that fresh talks aimed at averting more strikes by London Underground workers are to be held next week at conciliation service Acas.
Members of the RMT and Transport Salaried Staffs Association walked out for 24 hours last week, causing disruption to services, and plan further strikes in a row over 800 job losses.
An Acas spokesman said the Tube talks will be held next Wednesday (September 22).