Walker dies after falling into ravine in the Lake District
Wednesday 17 April 2013
An elderly Swiss woman has died after falling 100m into a ravine in the Lake District.
Elisabeth Huber, 68, from Heimberg in the canton of Berne, fell from a path in the Dungeon Ghyll area of the Great Langdale Valley in Cumbria. She had been on holiday and was walking with a group of people when the accident happened at about 1.50pm on Tuesday. Langdale Ambleside Mountain Rescue Team was called out but Ms Huber was pronounced dead at the scene. Rescuers recovered her body and helped the group off the fell.
Mountain rescue chiefs said they were assisted by Kendal Mountain Rescue Team and a search and rescue helicopter from RAF Valley.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria Constabulary said: “Police are not treating her death as suspicious at this stage and have passed the case to the coroner.”
She added: “Police officers in Cumbria are working with Interpol to support Ms Huber’s family in Switzerland.”
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...