Will Self escapes with children as their roof falls in
Thursday 24 May 2012
The writer Will Self has described how he had to evacuate his family after the roof of his home fell through on Tuesday night.
Four fire engines and a fire rescue vehicle were called to the road at 9pm, and one resident said a helicopter used thermal-imaging technology to check nobody else was left inside.
Speaking yesterday as he surveyed the wrecked four-storey Victorian townhouse in Stockwell, south London, Mr Self said:
"It was like the front of my house fell off." Talking to the Evening Standard, he added: "I got the children out to the back of the property because it was all about to go. Once things had stopped falling off I got them out through the front door. Somebody could have been killed."
His wife, the Guardian journalist Deborah Orr, tweeted: "Our house, and the four neighbouring houses, are OVER."
She added: "No one knows what caused it yet, but it's emergency services central. Helicopters, the lot."
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...