Woman and 16-year-old daughter killed by train in west London

The pair are said to have fallen on the tracks at Ealing Broadway station shortly after 6pm yesterday and were pronounced dead at the scene

Click to follow

A woman and her teenage daughter have died after being hit by a train at a west London train station.

London Fire Brigade reported that the pair fell on to the tracks at Ealing Broadway just after 6pm yesterday evening.

British Transport Police confirmed today that the victims were a 36-year-old woman and her 16-year-old daughter. They are not treating the deaths as suspicious.

British Transport Police Superintendent Chris Horton said: "Shortly before 6.10pm on Tuesday 23 June, we were called to Ealing Broadway station following reports of a person struck by a train. Officers attended, alongside colleagues from the Metropolitan Police Service and London Ambulance Service and discovered two people had been struck and killed by a train."

"Since the incident, officers have been working to determine the identities of the deceased and the details of the moments leading up to their deaths. As a result of those inquiries we are now able to confirm that the deceased have been identified as a 36-year-old woman and a 16-year-old girl, who were mother and daughter."

"We can also confirm that we are not treating the deaths as suspicious and we will assist in the compilation of a report for the coroner."

Last night, police said they were working to determine how the pair came to be on the tracks.

London Ambulance Service said staff, including its hazardous area response team, were sent to the station but that two people had been pronounced dead at the scene.

Laura Roozendaal witnessed two ambulance service vans, two fire trucks and five police cars outside the station that evening.

Ayesha S Raza reported that response teams remained on the track with torches late into the night.

The tragic incident caused delays during the busy evening commute. Heathrow Express said all services between Paddington station and Heathrow airport had been suspended, while First Great Western said there were delays of up to 90 mins to and from Paddington.

South West Trains said that they were accepting First Great Western tickets on “reasionable routes” in order to get passengers home.

Ellie Jones reported that there had been a huge response from London Ambulance Service, London Fire Brigade and the Metropolitan Police. Staff at the station were also praised for their response.

Police have appealed for witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.

Earlier this year, the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) reported that deaths on the railway arising from trespass and suicide totalled 320 in 2014.

This compared with 315 in 2013, with 2014 being the third consecutive year the total number had increased.