Women cleared to serve on Navy submarines
Thursday 08 December 2011
Women are to be allowed to serve on Royal Navy submarines for the first time, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond announced today.
The first female officers will begin serving on Vanguard class nuclear-powered submarines from late 2013, Mr Hammond said.
They will be followed by women ratings in 2015. Women will also be able to serve on the new Astute class submarines from about 2015.
"Operational effectiveness has to remain the watchword for everything we do and we will continue to learn from our experience," Mr Hammond said in a keynote speech to the Royal United Services Institute in London.
"We will change and adapt with the evidence and the circumstances. We will value our history and tradition - but we will not be slaves to them.
"In that spirit, I can announce today that I have accepted the recommendation of the First Sea Lord that women should be allowed to serve in submarines in the future."
The decision to lift the ban on women submariners follows an 18-month review by the Royal Navy looking at the legal, operational, health, social, technical, and financial issues.
Women have previously been excluded from serving on submarines due to concerns that higher levels of carbon dioxide in the on-board atmosphere pose particular risks to female health.
Recent research by the Institute of Naval Medicine concluded that these risks were unfounded and there were no medical reasons for maintaining the ban.
The Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Charles Montgomery, said: "This carefully-considered decision will allow the Submarine Service to draw on the widest range of talent and skills of our people - those in service and those yet to join.
"It will give our women the same opportunities as men to enjoy a fulfilling and rewarding career in the Submarine Service."
Mr Hammond also confirmed that the final cost of military operations in Libya was now estimated at £212 million.
The figure is less than the last estimate issued by the Ministry of Defence in October of £300 million.
The fall is primarily due to a drop in the estimated cost of replacing spent munitions from £140 million to £67 million.
Delivering his first major speech since taking office as Defence Secretary following the resignation of Liam Fox, Mr Hammond stressed there was no going back on the cuts in the Government's Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR).
"The situation we face now - after the years of political failure to grip the problem - is that eliminating the black hole in the defence budget is the only way to sustain military capability over the long-term," he said.
"Of course there are many valid and finely balanced arguments about the utility and necessity of individual capabilities. But let's be under no illusions - unpicking the SDSR piece by piece is simply not an option."
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
Mohammed Emwazi: Nine things we know about Isis militant 'Jihadi John'
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
'Jihadi John': Mohammed Emwazi – from British computer programmer to Isis executioner
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Do you wish to be part of an exciting journey ...
£30-35k (P/T - Pro Rata) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienc...
£17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...