House prices show signs of a return to stability
Thursday 18 February 1993
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said 65 per cent of its affiliated estate agents reported steady house prices over the past three months.
But while many buyers are taking advantage of cheap new home loans, the institution warned it was too early to talk of a general recovery in the market. Job insecurity and a belief that house prices may fall further were deterring potential buyers.
But a revival in activity which began at Christmas continued throughout January. First-time buyers were particularly active.
The market is still extremely price-sensitive, and the institute warned sellers that 'realistic' prices were essential to aid recovery. It asked the Government to help by doubling both the mortgage interest tax-relief ceiling and the stamp duty threshold to pounds 60,000 each.
Bryan Appleyard, page 25
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...