Inquest told Lady Green died of suffocation

Click to follow
The Independent Online
EVA GREEN, the estranged wife of Sir Allan Green, the former Director of Public Prosecutions, committed suicide by placing a plastic bag over her head, a coroner ruled yesterday.

Dr Paul Knapman, the Westminster coroner, recorded a verdict of suicide on Lady Green, 47, who was found dead at her home in Maida Vale, west London, on 30 January. She had taken an overdose of sleeping pills before she died, the inquest was told.

Lady Green, who was born in Sweden, had separated from her husband in early 1992. Sir Allan resigned from his post as DPP three months earlier after he was stopped by police while talking to a prostitute in the red light area of King's Cross, in north London.

Her son, Robin Green, 22, who found her body when he went to the house to meet her for lunch, told the inquest that he had been in regular contact with his mother before her death and that she had apparently been feeling more positive about life. When he went to dinner with her the night before she died, she had talked to him about holiday plans. 'She seemed tired and a little subdued, but I did not notice anything amiss,' Mr Green, a barrister, said.

On his arrival the next day, he found a suicide note addressed to him on the stairs. Lady Green's body was on her bed. Police sergeant Michael Dwyer told the inquest that a nearly-empty bottle of Temazepam sleeping tablets was on the bedside cabinet. The plastic bag was tied over her head with a knotted length of elastic.

Dr Hugh White, a forensic pathologist at Guy's Hospital, London, said that Lady Green's blood contained four to five times the therapeutic level of Temazepam, but that it was not sufficient to kill her. Death from suffocation would have been 'remarkably rapid', he said.

Dr Knapman said: 'It seems quite clear to me that Lady Green appeared on the outside to be having a more positive attitude to life. However, it is clear that the problems of a personal nature were affecting her a great deal.'

Sir Allan did not attend the inquest. His son declined to comment on the verdict.