Inside Story: So who was responsible for Clause IV
Sunday 09 October 1994
To secure for the producers by hand or brain the full fruits of their industry by the Common Ownership of all monopolies and essential raw materials.
He also offered the party executive an alternative 'Fabian' formula, believed to have been drafted by Sidney Webb (above right).
To secure for the producers by hand or brain the full fruits of their industry by the Common Ownership of the means of production and the best obtainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service.
This version (adopted with no debate recorded) would, the Fabians believed, increase Labour's appeal to a middle class ready for radical ideas. The working class might find it extreme but they would vote Labour anyway. Most importantly, with an election approaching, it set out an objective which distinguished Labour from the Liberals. In the event the middle class failed to convert to socialism, while Henderson, who went on to win a Nobel Peace Prize, probably accurately represented the trade union view when he told a party official that he didn't care either way.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...