Judge blows cool on bigamy
Judge Graham Neville told Exeter Crown Court that bigamy 'once was a serious offence' but that attitudes had changed because divorces had become so easy to get.
His comments came after Jay Vanderton, a 47-year-old market trader from Glastonbury, Somerset, was convicted of bigamy following his marriage to his fourth 'wife', Pauline Gilbert.
Mrs Gilbert, 45, a secretary from Maidstone, Kent, told the court that shortly after her marriage to Mr Vanderton she discovered he had two wives already. She became suspicious after speaking to 19-year-old Zena Stevens.
'It took a while to put two and two together and see the truth. He told me Zena had been his girlfriend and she was a much younger woman so I had no reason to suspect he was lying to me,' Mrs Gilbert told the court.
Soon after she discovered that Mr Vanderton had not just one wife extant, but two.
Mrs Gilbert added: 'The fact is that I have been lied to from day one. The whole marriage was full of lies. He is incapable of telling the truth.'
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...