Labour hope selected by 'Omov'
Saturday 19 June 1993
Mr Lickley, from Winchester, was selected on a 'one member, one vote' basis by constituency party members, the method adopted for the first time at last month's Newbury by-election.
If Labour's Newbury experience is repeated, his vote will be further squeezed by tactical voting for Diana Maddock, the Liberal Democrat, in the two-horse race with Rob Hayward, the former Conservative MP and Tory central office adviser.
The 23,015 majority left by the late Robert Adley, the former Tory MP, is vulnerable to a Liberal Democrat swing of 20 per cent, 8 per cent less than the one achieved in Newbury.
A date has yet to be set for the contest. Other candidates so far include Michael Cleland (21st Century Party). Lord David Sutch has said that he will stand as the Monster Raving Loony Save John Major candidate.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...