Max Clifford faces fresh indecent assault charges dating back to the 1980s

The disgraced PR guru is already serving a sentence for assault

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Max Clifford has been charged with one count of indecent assault after being arrested in prison.

The former PR guru, 71, is suspected of committing the offence in 1981, the Crown Prosecution Service said on Friday.

He was arrested at the prison in which he is already serving an eight-year sentence. He was convicted in May last year of assaulting four women and girls between 1977 and 1984. One of his victims was 15 years old at the time.

Baljit Ubhey, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS London, said: “We have carefully considered the evidence gathered as part of Operation Yewtree in relation to Max Clifford, who was arrested at Littlehey Prison on March 12.

”Having completed our review, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest for Mr Clifford to be charged with one offence of indecent assault.“

Clifford, from Hersham, Surrey, became the first person convicted under Operation Yewtree, Scotland Yard’s major investigation into historical sex crimes.

He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on July 21.

Additional reporting from PA

Comments