Mercury lines up fee waiver
Friday 08 October 1993
The company, which has been overwhelmed by inquiries about One-2-One, has written to anyone who subscribed in the first two weeks saying that no connection charge would be included in their first bills.
In theory, customers can register for One-2-One within minutes by telephoning a customer service number. But, having bought the telephones, some people were failing to get a reply from the number or found that registration was taking up to 72 hours or more.
A spokesman for Mercury One-2-One said: 'It was a human congestion problem which led to huge delays.'
Mercury declined to say how many people have registered for One-2-One, which is initially available in Greater London and surrounding areas. The figure is thought to be between 8,000 and 10,000, of which two- thirds are completely new to mobile telephones. Mercury said that the number of people employed in customer service has been trebled.
- 1 The political parties aren't all the same – which means 2015 will be a 'big-choice' election
- 2 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...