Neighbours kept awake by noisy sex
Monday 30 August 1993
Loud music, slamming doors and noisy children are also common complaints by the one-third of respondents who say they are regularly irritated by neighbours.
A Gallup survey for House Beautiful magazine says 82 per cent of British people describe their neighbours as friendly. This rises to 86 per cent in Scotland and the North and drops to 72 per cent in inner cities. Only 53 per cent of southerners know their neighbours' first names, compared with 64 per cent in the Midlands and Wales and 62 per cent in the North and Scotland.
If neighbours argue, 17 per cent drown the noise by turning up their television or stereo volume and 3 per cent protest by knocking on the wall; 9 per cent turn the music down to listen and 3 per cent hold a glass against the wall to hear better.
Dawn French is the nation's most popular choice as a next-door neighbour with 16 per cent, followed by Joanna Lumley and Richard Branson on 12 per cent. John Major is rated the least popular neighbour, narrowly beating Jeremy Beadle.
Leading article, page 15
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...