Nightmare fades as cruise ship sails
Monday 26 December 1994
Travellers sat down to Christmas lunch as the vessel followed a southerly course off the United States at Fort Lauderdale in Florida.
The ship set sail from New York on Saturday after coastguards were satisfied that several safety hazards found on board had been corrected.
Peter Ludlow, a passenger travelling with his fiancee, Merrilyn Wesley, said from the ship last night that the situation was almost normal. He added: "The crew have been absolutely splendid in trying to make amends, and everybody is determined to make this a holiday.
"There is still debris lying about. Parts of the ship have been ruled out of bounds, but generally speaking, things are improving."
The ship had been stranded in New York because marine safety inspectors had complained about " fire hazards".They were particularly worried about stacked building materials in gangways, and holes in a bulkhead.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...