Ordination offers hope to converts
Wednesday 27 April 1994
Dr Graham Leonard was conditionally ordained as a Roman Catholic priest by Cardinal Hume last Saturday in the chapel at Westminster Cathedral.
Officially, the Roman Catholic Church is insisting that Anglican priestly orders are 'utterly null and void' in the words of a Vatican decree of 1896. Conditional ordination, a ceremony that implies that the ordinand might have been a priest or even a bishop outside the Roman Catholic Church, was a concession eagerly sought by the Anglicans who have been trying to become Roman Catholics after the General Synod's decision to ordain women priests. But it has in general been unequivocally refused.
So far, 182 Anglican priests have announced their intention to resign over the issue. Dr Leonard's ordination is not unprecedented. An Anglican priest was conditionally ordained as a Roman Catholic in Germany in 1959.
The official reason given was that he could prove that his consecration as an Anglican bishop had been assisted by Old Catholic bishops, members of small churches in full communion with Canterbury whose orders are none the less accepted by the Vatican.
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Life on Earth may have developed below rather than above ground, reveal scientists
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£85000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Top 15 Firm - Qualified AC...
Salary £35-50K Plus Generous Benefits Package including Car,Pension ,and Health...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£2000 - £25500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We are seeking an ...