Paris Post War
Saturday 28 August 1993
But you have never struck me in this way; the opposite in fact. . . Lots of love, Jean.
*On the contrary, I would like to live in a communist society. It is the transition (and the difficulties of transition) which seem to me here and there to cramp Communists and lead to what one might call (although not exactly) their hypocrisy
or their inconsistency (anti-patriotic one day, patriotic
the next, etc.)
From Jean Paulhan-Francis Ponge, Correspondances 1923-68 (Gallimard, Paris 1986)
(Research: Kate Oldfield)
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...