Paris Post War: Art and Existentialism 1945 - 55
Monday 30 August 1993
There is a long silence, interrupted by the crackle of a burning log . . . I remember him confiding to me one day that he had found in the chloral the freedom he was seeking, the deliverance from his obsessions, which he called his 'internal rotation'. I observe, near the hearth, the metal rod he snapped during his last nocturnal delirium. At these times, he becomes imbued with a devilish strength.
Outside there are pine trees and a lodge buried in the undergrowth. He tells me this is the morgue and those woods around it, only 200 metres away from the woods on one side and factory chimneys on the other, could well be Andersen's 'Garden of Death'.
Antonin Artaud contemplated his end for weeks. At last he found the freedom he was so desperately seeking.
Interview with Antonin Artaud by Jean Marabini, in Combat, 5 March 1948
(Trans: Emmanuelle de la Lubie)
Paris Post War: Art and Existentialism 1945-55 at the Tate Gallery until 5 September. Sponsored by the Independent and supported by the French Embassy in London.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...
£16000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £23k - £45k: Connex Education: Connex Educatio...