Paris Post War: Art and Existentialism 1945-55
Tuesday 29 June 1993
It means that Boubal has been conquered by America, completely overpowered . . . People come from the four corners of the earth and especially from the New World to see the 'artists'.
Boubal patiently made his fortune selling cafes creme to the two thousand poets of the sixth arrondissement. But what a lesson in patience this type of existentialism is] Of course everyone knows that the Saint-Germain-des-Pres crowd is both boozy and short of money. They have a talent for freeloading that is beyond most of us. Boubal reckons that if you send out a hundred invitations to a party in Saint-Germain-des-Pres you can expect to have to provide drinks for a good one thousand under-age alcoholics. But within these thousand under-age alcoholics there is most certainly a young genius hiding. This genius, five years later, will attract a good ten thousand Americans. That is the trick . . .
From an article headed 'Revolution a Saint-Germain-des-Pres' in Samedi Soir, 2 July 1949. Translated by Emmanuelle Lepic.
Paris Post War: Art and Existentialism 1945-55 at the Tate Gallery
until 5 September.
See next Monday's Independent for reader offers.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: September start - Pr...