Patients 'denied drugs to stop ulcers recurring'
Wednesday 24 March 1993
Researchers say there is evidence that a common stomach infection called Helicobacter pylori (Hp) must be destroyed to prevent the ulcers returning, which they do in 90 per cent of cases. The findings could save the NHS millions of pounds. About one in ten people have ulcers at some time in their lives and receive drugs for them. But most ulcers recur so treatment is repeated. Many patients take drugs on repeat prescriptions.
But Dr Kenneth McColl, a consultant gastroenterologist, says patients should be given a three-week course of two antibiotics to kill the Hp and an ulcer drug. When this is done relapse is rare. Dr McColl is presenting his findings to the British Society of Gastroenterology meeting in Manchester, this week.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...