Bootleg tip-off line is started
Dawn Primarolo, the Paymaster General, said she hoped the public would report any suspicions they had of drugs, tobacco or alcohol smuggling. Tobacco smuggling is estimated to have cost the country pounds 1.7bn last year and alcohol smuggling pounds 220m.
"They are not modern day Robin Hoods or `Jack the Lads' selling real bargains," she said. "Recently Customs and Excise seized a large consignment of methylated spirits labelled as vodka and whisky. These are real criminals."
A guide published by the department tells people what to look for but warns them not to get involved themselves.
Labour attacked the last Tory government when it introduced a confidential hotline for people to report benefit cheats. Then, many Labour MPs said "shop your neighbour" campaigns would undermined community relations.
The Call Customs Confidential hotline number is 0800 595000.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...