Boris Johnson hails London jobs boost in wake of Olympic Games
London's Mayor today hailed the creation of 1,700 new jobs in restaurants in the capital, saying firms were expanding in the wake of the Olympic Games.
Three companies have announced the new positions in recent weeks, giving a huge employment boost to the leisure industry.
Around 1,000 part-time and 215 permanent jobs are being created at Sushisamba and Duck & Waffle restaurants, 500 by The ONE Group and 45 by CJ Foodville.
Mayor Boris Johnson said: "London has been basking in the world spotlight for the past month and international investors have rightly seen that the capital is the best big city in which to start and grow a business.
"Our fantastic restaurants and leisure venues have never had a better opportunity to expand, capitalising on the amazing opportunities the Games are providing to boost jobs and growth in the capital."
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Gove...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Randstad Education is the market le...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Randstad Education London: A leading Further Educat...
£500 - £680 per day: Orgtel: Quantitative Risk Analyst, Front Office/Risk Bank...