Call for councils to share buildings
Thursday 03 February 2011
Public services such as police, health clinics, fire brigades and job centres should consider moving in with local councils to save money, the Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles said yesterday.
His comments came as he endorsed a new report suggesting local authorities could save £7bn a year – the equivalent of £316 for every council taxpayer – by rationalising their property portfolios, selling offices and town halls and sharing buildings.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...