Civil servants face sack if they fail to deliver
Britian's most senior civil servants could be dismissed if they fail to promptly implement Government policy, the Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude suggested yesterday, as he drafted in a think tank to come up with plans to reform Whitehall.
Mr Maude said the Institute for Public Policy Research had been commissioned to examine the advantages of Britain adopting a system of greater civil service accountability. Researchers will study how governments operate in Australia, Singapore, the US, France and Sweden and report back to the Cabinet Office by Christmas. There will be a particular focus on the system in New Zealand, where senior civil servants have a contractual responsibility to their ministers to push policies through.
Mr Maude said reform was necessary because the experience of ministers – both in this Government and the last – had been that their decisions had not always been acted upon. "Ministers who are democratically accountable must be able to get what they decide implemented," he said.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Adobe F...