Council staff face third year of pay freezes
Local authorities are facing the threat of industrial action after announcing that 1.6 million council workers are to have their pay frozen for the third year in a row.
Unions reacted furiously after being told by the Local Government Association that more jobs and services would be cut if they ended a two-year pay freeze for workers across England, Wales and Northern Ireland in April.
Officials branded the decision a "disgrace" and warned of industrial action if the issue is not taken to a tribunal. Council employers blamed the "unprecedented" move on rising costs and shrinking funding for council services.
Sarah Messenger, head of workforce at the LGA, said: "This has been a very difficult decision to make but it is the right one for council taxpayers and the workforce as a whole.
"A combination of rising costs and shrinking local government funding means councils were left with little choice."
Unite national officer Peter Allenson said local government workers were under "sustained attack", adding: "Staff have endured a decade of below-inflation pay increases and freezes. Now attacks on pensions, conditions and massive job cuts have heaped misery upon misery."
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, George Osborne told
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...