Cries of 'shame' greet Dennis Skinner quip at Queen's Speech
Veteran Labour MP and republican Dennis Skinner angered Tory MPs after using the State Opening of Parliament to draw attention to the country's economic difficulties.
Mr Skinner, who has a reputation for greeting Black Rod's appearance in the Commons with a quip, said: "Jubilee year, double dip recession, what a start."
His comment was greeted with cries of "shame" from Tory MPs angry at Mr Skinner's intervention during the ceremony.
The 80-year-old made his comment as Black Rod Lt Gen David Leakey arrived to summon MPs to the Lords to hear the Queen's Speech.
The Bolsover MP's quips have become a tradition in recent years.
Following the release of the movie The Queen, in 2006 he asked: "Have you got Helen Mirren on stand-by?"
Tory Claire Perry attacked Mr Skinner's behaviour in a post on Twitter and denied that MPs had been laughing at his remark.
She said: "Dennis Skinner is a total disgrace. Charmless, friendless and clueless. We weren't laughing, we were suggesting he, er, move on."
Fellow Tory Louise Mensch said Mr Skinner's comment was "cheap".
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
New banker bonus boom: Payouts leapt 64% to new record when Chancellor George Osborne cut top-rate tax to 45p in April
'There's something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland ahead of Donside by-election
Poor children are being let down by schools, warns Ofsted
World news in pictures
- 1 ‘Hello, NME? I’d like to complain about your Tom Odell review. Why? I’m his dad’
- 2 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 3 Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
- 4 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
- 5 From charmer to bully: My encounter with Charles Saatchi
TBC: Capital Refrigeration Services Ltd: Capital Refrigeration Services requir...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: We are currently recruiting fo...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: . Blackpool
£5520 - £31200 per annum: Randstad Education London: If you are then please ap...