Defence reform a challenge, minister admits
Friday 13 July 2012
Building up the Territorial Army to offset the cuts to regular troops will be a "challenge", the Defence Secretary, Philip Hammond, acknowledged yesterday.
Under plans announced last week, the number of part-time "weekend warriors" is set to double to 30,000 while the regular Army is slashed by 20,000 to 82,000. Giving evidence to the Commons Defence Committee, Mr Hammond said they were going to have to find new ways to encourage employers to release staff for duty with the reserves if the plan was to succeed.
"It is a challenge, we recognise that it is a challenge. The people in charge of this project are confident that they can do it but they don't underestimate the scale of the challenge," he said.
"Where we, I think, are going to have to do a lot more imaginative thinking is about how we engage with small and medium employers."
Mr Hammond also said that they would have to make service with the Territorial Army more attractive to the reservists themselves.
Emergency landing at Heathrow sparks further controversy over London airport capacity
Unrest may spread across Europe, warns Red Cross chief
French government seeks to ban extreme right-wing group
BNP and EDL accused of attempt to fuel racial hatred after Woolwich terror attack
You want to get an Eton scholarship? All you need to do is answer four (not so simple) questions
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 3 Exclusive: How MI5 blackmails British Muslims
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.