Ed Balls fined for using mobile behind wheel
Children's Secretary Ed Balls was issued with a £60 fine for driving while using a mobile phone, it was disclosed.
Mr Balls, who is married to fellow Cabinet minister Yvette Cooper, said that the incident happened last Sunday when they were driving from Yorkshire to London with their children.
"Although our car has hands-free, I took my phone off the cradle because I did not want to wake the kids," he told The Sun.
"We got waved down by a police car almost immediately. I had no points on my licence and accepted the fine and three points without complaint.
"I 100% support the law on mobile phones - it's there to protect the safety of all drivers, passengers and pedestrians."
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
N Korea confirms removal of Kim Jong-un’s 'depraved' uncle Jang Song Thaek
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Open Source...
£65000 - £80000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading prov...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of English - U...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A leading pr...