Eight million watch final leaders' TV debate
An audience of eight million viewers tuned in to see the final party leaders' debate on BBC1 last night, overnight viewing figures showed today.
The third of the 90-minute shows had an average audience of 7.5 million viewers, who saw Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg put through their paces.
The first debate on ITV1 a fortnight ago drew an average 9.4 million people, with a combined audience of around four million watching Sky's coverage last week.
BBC1's coverage last night had a peak audience of eight million at 9pm.
The coverage was up against Coronation Street on ITV1 with 6.7 million and Five's screening of the Uefa Europa League clash between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid on 3.4 million.
The BBC said that adding BBC1, BBC HD and BBC News Channel audiences, the average audience totalled 8.1 million viewers.
Helen Boaden, director of BBC News, said: "We are delighted by these figures, which demonstrate a real appetite for serious political debate presented with class and confidence."
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...