Firefighters battle blaze at their own station

Click to follow
Indy Politics

Firefighters on Mull had to tackle a blaze in the roof of their own station.

The fire was discovered at 6.30pm last night by one of the crew commanders based at the station.

It was extinguished by 9.30pm by retained firefighters based at the Tobermory Community Fire Station on the island.

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service said part of the lecture room, used for training, was damaged by the blaze.

Paul Connelly, Strathclyde Fire and Rescue's area commander for Argyll and Bute, said: "I'd like to congratulate the Tobermory firefighters for the speedy and efficient way in which they dealt with the fire.

"I'd like to repeat an earlier reminder from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue that this is a warning to all of us that fire can start anywhere."

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.