Firm leaves state scheme after threat of protests
Saturday 07 July 2012
A leading health food retailer that has been threatened with protests over its involvement with the Government's controversial work experience programme has pulled out of the scheme.
Holland & Barrett said it was worried about the safety of its staff and customers. The company, which has been supporting the Workfare programme for more than a year, said it was now launching its own apprentice scheme. A group called Boycott Workfare is planning a series of protests across the country over the next week, including plans to target Holland & Barrett stores. The group says its protests will be peaceful, just as previous protests have been.
A company statement said: "We take our responsibilities as a retailer and employer very seriously, and any possible compromise to the safety of our staff and customers from opponents of our work experience scheme is treated with great importance.
"This factor, together with the planned introduction of a new full-time, salaried apprentice scheme, means that the 60 people currently undertaking the work experience scheme will be the last to complete the eight-week placement. After this time, Holland & Barrett will not participate further in the scheme."
Employment Minister Chris Grayling said: "It is a disgrace that anyone should seek to target a company that is trying to help young unemployed people in this way."
Jim McLaughlin, a member of Boycott Workfare said: "It is disingenuous to suggest that peaceful protests pose a risk to anyone. It is a convenient way of distracting from the company’s ethical responsibility for using unpaid work on a massive scale - and from the fact that Workfare does not help people get into work. The protests are peaceful and legitimate, and have been supported by a massive public response on social media. The government and the companies profiting from the scheme need to face up to the uncomfortable truth: Workfare is failing."
More than 100 large companies and thousands of smaller businesses have been involved in the scheme since it was launched over a year ago. It ran into controversy earlier this year when protesters complained about the sanction of benefits being cut if someone pulled out of the programme.
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...