Government wants return to weekly bin runs
Friday 30 September 2011
Councils are to be offered financial support to restore weekly rubbish collections, the Government announced last night.
A new quarter of a billion pound fund is being set up to help local authorities in England switch from fortnightly to weekly bin rounds.
The policy is being seen by Conservatives as delivering on a pledge the party made while in Opposition.
The Government came under fire in June following its Waste Review when it was revealed that councils would not have to bring back weekly bin collections and householders would not be penalised for "minor mistakes" when putting out their bins.
Labour then accused the Government of breaking its pre-election promise to abandon fortnightly bin collections, branding it a "huge missed opportunity".
Unveiling the move ahead of the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester, the Communities and Local Government Secretary, Eric Pickles, said that he believed every household in England had "a basic right" to have their rubbish collected every week.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...