Hague denies Heywood was a secret agent
The Foreign Secretary has denied that Neil Heywood, the British businessman thought to have been murdered in China, was a British secret agent.
William Hague has written to a Commons committee to say Mr Heywood "was not an employee of the British government in any capacity".
He added that the businessman, who died in November, was only an occasional contact of the British Embassy in Beijing.
Mr Heywood lived in China for a decade and was for several years close to Bo Xilai, an influential Chinese politician. Bo was sacked from the Chinese Politburo earlier this month and his wife, Gu Kailai, is the leading suspect in the British businessman's death.
Mr Hague's letter to Richard Ottaway MP, chairman of the Commons Foreign Affairs Select Committee, added: "We are pleased that the Chinese are now investigating."
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£16000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £23k - £45k: Connex Education: Connex Educatio...
£85 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Chester: Food Technology TeacherRandsta...
£85 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Chester: Physics Teacher Job in North W...
£16000 - £23000 per annum + OTE - £23k - £45k: Connex Education: Connex Educat...