In pictures: Eggs mark the spot. After Ed Miliband's egging we look back at other politicians under fire
* Labour leader Ed Miliband was hit with an egg during a walkabout in Southampton today. The politician was giving a TV interview when a man in a hat came through the throng and slapped the egg on to his shoulder. The egg broke on to Mr Miliband's jacket, which he quickly removed and gave to an aide as the man ran off down the street.
* John Prescott failed to take the yolk when, on May 16 2001, he scuffled with egg-throwing protester Craig Evans. Prescott's infamous left jab led to him being questioned by police, but Prime Minister Tony Blair dismissed the punch-up, saying simply "John is John".
* Purple powder billowed around the House of Commons in May 2004, after Fathers For Justice campaigners threw a projectile full of dyed flour at Tony Blair during Prime Minister's Questions. The session was immediately abandoned and a serious review of Commons security was ordered.
* In March 2009, the then Business Secretary Lord Mandelson was 'slimed' by Leila Deen from campaign group Plane Stupid. Seconds after Lord Mandelson got out of his ministerial car to attend the Government's low carbon economy summit in London, Ms Deen threw a cup of 'green slime' over the minister, who tried to duck when he realised what was happening.
* Nick Griffin was pelted with eggs as he was about to begin a press conference outside Parliament in June 2009. Dozens of protesters surrounded the BNP leader, throwing eggs, chanting anti-Nazi slogans and waving placards, forcing Griffin to flee in a waiting car.
* David Cameron was egged by a 16-year-old student in April 2010 while visiting a school in the run-up to that year's General Election. Cameron's protection officer took the full force of the attack, but some of the yolk stained Cameron's white shirt. In a fresh shirt later that day, Cameron, who had been followed by a Daily Mirror reporter dressed as a chicken, joked "Now I know which came first - the chicken not the egg."
* George Galloway was egged in March this year as he left his office for a victory parade to celebrate becoming MP for Bradford. The 26-year-old protester called Galloway a "parasite" as he threw the eggs towards him, later condemning him for acting like 'a submissive cat' on television.
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 3 What are your fingerprint words?
- 4 Gary Lineker involved in Twitter row after presenter rubbishes claims he will be warned by BBC over foul-mouthed tweets
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years
Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
Slough train station deaths: Woman and child killed after being 'pushed in front of train'
Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
Jennifer Lawrence: Leaked 4Chan sex video branded 'fake' by users
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£16500 - £20000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: We are currently r...
£100 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Crawley: KS2 PPA Teacher currently nee...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + pension, healthcare,25 days: Ashdown Group: An est...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...