In pictures: Eggs mark the spot. After Ed Miliband's egging we look back at other politicians under fire
* Labour leader Ed Miliband was hit with an egg during a walkabout in Southampton today. The politician was giving a TV interview when a man in a hat came through the throng and slapped the egg on to his shoulder. The egg broke on to Mr Miliband's jacket, which he quickly removed and gave to an aide as the man ran off down the street.
* John Prescott failed to take the yolk when, on May 16 2001, he scuffled with egg-throwing protester Craig Evans. Prescott's infamous left jab led to him being questioned by police, but Prime Minister Tony Blair dismissed the punch-up, saying simply "John is John".
* Purple powder billowed around the House of Commons in May 2004, after Fathers For Justice campaigners threw a projectile full of dyed flour at Tony Blair during Prime Minister's Questions. The session was immediately abandoned and a serious review of Commons security was ordered.
* In March 2009, the then Business Secretary Lord Mandelson was 'slimed' by Leila Deen from campaign group Plane Stupid. Seconds after Lord Mandelson got out of his ministerial car to attend the Government's low carbon economy summit in London, Ms Deen threw a cup of 'green slime' over the minister, who tried to duck when he realised what was happening.
* Nick Griffin was pelted with eggs as he was about to begin a press conference outside Parliament in June 2009. Dozens of protesters surrounded the BNP leader, throwing eggs, chanting anti-Nazi slogans and waving placards, forcing Griffin to flee in a waiting car.
* David Cameron was egged by a 16-year-old student in April 2010 while visiting a school in the run-up to that year's General Election. Cameron's protection officer took the full force of the attack, but some of the yolk stained Cameron's white shirt. In a fresh shirt later that day, Cameron, who had been followed by a Daily Mirror reporter dressed as a chicken, joked "Now I know which came first - the chicken not the egg."
* George Galloway was egged in March this year as he left his office for a victory parade to celebrate becoming MP for Bradford. The 26-year-old protester called Galloway a "parasite" as he threw the eggs towards him, later condemning him for acting like 'a submissive cat' on television.
South Korea ferry passengers who were told to stay put 'got trapped' aboard sinking ship
Are beards attractive? Ryan Gosling says yes, but science says no. Take the A-list facial hair challenge and find out who's right
Malaysia Airlines MH370 co-pilot's phone 'was on and made contact with network tower' 30 minutes after plane turned around
Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
Oscar Pistorius trial: Defence witness 'unqualified' to testify
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Big Bang Theory to get special Star Wars episode with help from Lucasfilm
- 3 Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
- 4 Pharrell Williams 'Happy': British Muslims dance to song in video
- 5 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...