John Bercow's wife loses bid for council seat
The wife of the Commons speaker and former Tory MP John Bercow lost her bid to win a council seat for Labour today.
Sally Bercow was standing in Westminster City Council but saw her ward fall to a clean sweep by Conservative candidates.
She polled 868 votes, around 1,000 lower than the winning tallies for the three Tory victors in St James's ward.
Mrs Bercow's fortunes contrasted with that of her husband, who earlier held his seat of Buckingham in the General Election, where he was standing in his capacity as Speaker.
His wife's decision to contest a council seat for Labour caused some disquiet among members of her husband's former party.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...