Justin Tomlinson: That's one MP who's married to his job...
There was much mirth yesterday at the suggestion that Justin Tomlinson, MP for Swindon North, was ordered back from his honeymoon in Mauritius by Tory whips to vote on Labour's motion about the future of Jeremy Hunt (another MP left his hospital bed to vote).
Tomlinson joins Sky News's political editor, Adam Boulton, in Westminster honeymoon infamy. Boulton notoriously continued to blog while away with new wife Anji Hunter in 2006.
As someone about to go on his honeymoon, this provides a good form guide to acceptable behaviour: heading back to the UK for work = bad. Knocking out 300 words on the hotel bed = passable. Showering your beloved with roses and wine = probably your best bet. But perhaps the best advice for Tomlinson came from a fellow MP who told Radio 4's Callum May: "he should have taken his honeymoon in f***ing recess. We have enough of them!"
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...