Labour defends plans to deprive the long-term unemployed of benefits if they refuse to take job offer
Andrew Grice has been Political Editor of The Independent since 1998. He was previously Political Editor of The Sunday Times, where he worked for 10 years, and he has been a Westminster-based journalist since 1982. His column, Inside Politics, appears in The Independent each Saturday.
Friday 04 January 2013
Labour today defended its plans to deprive the long-term unemployed of their benefits if they refuse to take up the offer of a “guaranteed” job.
Liam Byrne, the shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, said: “For some people, I accept that will be a culture shock, but for many more it will be a lifeline.” He added: “the best way to bring the welfare budget down, is to push people into work.”
Under the proposal, likely to feature in the party’s manifesto at the next election, a Labour Government would guarantee six months’ work to the 130,000 adults over 25 who have been unemployed for two years or more. They would be paid at least the minimum wage for 25 hours a week, leaving them time for training and searching for a permanent job.
The £1bn cost would be raised by cutting the tax relief on pension contributions for people earning more than £150,000 a year from 45 per cent to 20 per cent.
Labour’s “compulsory jobs guarantee” is designed to show the party is keen to tackle unemployment and is not “soft” on welfare claimants, as the Conservatives claim. Its policy was announced ahead of a crucial Commons vote next Tuesday on George Osborne’s plan to impose a one per cent cap on rises in most benefits and tax credits for the next three years. Labour will vote against the move.
Ed Balls, the shadow Chancellor, said: “A One Nation approach to welfare reform means government has a responsibility to help people into work and support those who cannot, but those who can work must be required to take up jobs or lose benefits as a result – no ifs or buts. Britain needs real welfare reform that is tough, fair and that works, not divisive, nasty and misleading smears from an out of touch and failing government.”
The Coalition Government has already announced plans to cut the amount that high earners can put into a pension and attract tax relief from £50,000 to £40,000 a year. Conservatives accused Labour of allocating money Mr Balls had previously earmarked for reversing cuts to tax credits. A Treasury aide said: “Ed Balls is trying to spend the same money twice. That means more borrowing and more debt - exactly how Labour got us into this mess in the first place. Labour have learnt nothing from their mistakes.”
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect attended meetings of banned Islamist group - and were known by security services
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
World news in pictures
Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.