Miliband sniping must stop, warns Mandelson
Lord Mandelson has warned that the sniping against Ed Miliband from inside Labour is harming its prospects and urged everyone in the party to rally behind the leader.
The former minister, who backed David Miliband for the Labour leadership last year, said in-fighting all but killed Labour in the 1980s. He told the Labour modernisers' group Progress last night: "Our leader is a leader of the country, not of the party's sections and factions, and it is to the country he needs to be given the space to prove himself. The leadership election is over. We support Ed. No ifs and buts. He is our leader, period.
"We need to spend less time talking to ourselves about Ed and more time talking to the country with smart ideas which reflect our values, that are broad, wide and realistic to show we understand the challenges the country faces, and sufficiently innovative to command media and public attention. We are not a debating society but a political party."
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...