Ministers urged over anti-semitism at universities
Ministers were urged today to cut funds to universities that fail to tackle anti-semitism.
Former foreign office minister Denis MacShane (Rotherham) made the suggestion during Commons question time.
He said: "Will you consider reducing funds to those universities which fail to take action to stop the propagation of Jew-hate and anti-semitism on campus?"
Higher education minister David Lammy acknowledged it is a "very serious issue".
He said: "We must remain vigilant. I don't believe that there is a widespread problem across British universities in relation to this, but I recognise that it is patchy and we must be vigilant and not allow anti-semitism anywhere on campuses in this country."
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...