MP forces a vote on Osborne's plans to relax tax dodging rules
A Liberal Democrat MP will attempt this week to force another U-turn out of George Osborne's battered budget. The Chancellor is proposing to relax the rules on tax avoidance by British- based multinational companies, which opponents say will deprive developing economies of up to £4bn a year in tax.
The Treasury's Controlled Foreign Company rules are designed to prevent multinationals from avoiding tax by artificially channelling their profits through tax havens. But Mr Osborne has how decided the rules have gone beyond their original purpose. He intends to rewrite them to cover only "the highest risk of artificial diversion of UK profits".
But an amendment by Liberal Democrat MP Stephen Williams, to be voted in the Commons this week, would require him to consult the International Develop- ment department first, to see what effect his planned changes will have on the poorest nations. Melanie Ward at charity ActionAid said of Mr Osborne's plans: "The hypocrisy's staggering."
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...