MP Jo Swinson recovering after suffering a potentially fatal anaphylactic shock


Click to follow
Indy Politics

The Employment Minister Jo Swinson was recovering last night after suffering a potentially fatal anaphylactic shock. The 33-year-old Liberal Democrat MP, who has a peanut allergy, said her life was saved by doctors at Glasgow's Southern General Hospital who administered adrenaline shots, oxygen and steroids.

The incident was triggered after she consumed a dish containing peanuts at her home constituency in East Dunbartonshire on Saturday. An allergic reaction resulted in her struggling for breath. The MP took a dose of antihistamine but as the reaction intensified she was rushed to South General Hospital's A&E department.

Ms Swinson said on Twitter on Sunday: "Thankfully now recovered from anaphylaxis episode yesterday: huge appreciation to the fab staff at Southern General for keeping me alive."