Need a handy scapegoat? Call a plumber
When David Gauke, Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, suggested that it was "morally wrong" to receive "a discount with your plumber by paying cash in hand," he was treading the well-trodden path of using plumbers as political wrenches.
Around 2004, they became the focal point of both anger and admiration in the UK for speculative reports on just how much they were earning.
And the practice isn't just confined to these shores. In 2005 "Le plombier polonais" became a buzz phrase in France, where it was used to describe the raft of eastern Europeans heading west.
In 2008 "Joe the Plumber" – real name Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, became a darling of the American right after he questioned the then presidential hopeful Barack Obama over his tax plans.
Nearly 40 years before President Richard Nixon created a different notion of "the plumber" when he tasked a covert group known as the "White House Plumbers", to plug leaks to the media. Some of its members later became involved in the Watergate break-ins.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Winfo...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior C...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior A...