Oh no! Volunteer Boris makes a splash
The Mayor of London Boris Johnson fell chest-deep into a river today in what he described as "the ultimate sacrifice" to promote volunteering.
Mr Johnson was striding through ankle-deep water as he helped to clean the River Pool in Lewisham, south east London, when he fell into a deeper stretch and sank up to his chest.
Volunteers rushed to his aid as onlookers could be heard shouting "Oh no" and "Classic".
Later, in an audio recording online, Mr Johnson said: "In order to promote this (volunteering), I took the maybe ultimate sacrifice. I decided to fall in in a very spectacular way."
The photocall was organised to show the Mayor rolling up his sleeves to help remove litter and Himalayan balsam - an invasive plant species which prevents native vegetation and wildlife from thriving - from the riverbanks as part of the 25th Annual Volunteers' Week.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Life on Earth may have developed below rather than above ground, reveal scientists
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £55000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading prov...
£400 - £450 per day: Harrington Starr: Technical Architect - .NET Consultant ....
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£27000 - £31000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Global travel com...