Police searching minister's home find dope worth... 85p
Sunday 30 April 2006
The news flashed across the airwaves yesterday morning that cannabis had been found by police in the constituency home of John Reid, Secretary of State for Defence, during a routine security search last week.
Mr Reid, 58, was in Afghanistan when the hashish was found, visiting British troops deployed to counter its narcotics trade.
The discovery, in a guest room at the house near Motherwell, was confirmed by Strathclyde Assistant Chief Constable John Corrigan. The find was so small - a street value of 85p - police did not report it to Scotland's prosecution service. Police said it could have been left there at any time by any of "hundreds" of visitors.
Mr Reid said: "There is no suggestion that this involves me or members of my family, and both I and the Strathclyde police regard the matter as closed."
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
£45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, ...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Per...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Software Developer (Client-Side, SQL, VB...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...