Respect Party aims for local council seats after Galloway win
The Respect Party will field candidates in every ward at Bradford's forthcoming local-council elections following George Galloway's shock by-election victory in the city.
Mr Galloway overturned a majority of more than 5,000 standing for the party in the Bradford West constituency – a seat held by Labour for nearly 40 years.
Respect said that it would now be turning its attention to the local-council elections, which are to take place on 3 May. Voters will choose one councillor in each of the metropolitan district council's 30 wards.
MPs from the three major parties have described Mr Galloway's victory as a one-off. The shadow Home Secretary, Yvette Cooper, yesterday blamed her party's failure to connect with the Asian community for the loss. "I think it is the case that Labour wasn't connecting enough with young voters in Bradford's Asian community," she told the BBC.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...