Potentially lethal holds designed to inflict pain on children could be banned as a result of an investigation of restraint procedures in juvenile custody.
An independent review of the use of painful restraint methods in "juvenile secure settings" has been told to advise on the suitability of present methods of containing youngsters during tantrums and potentially violent outbursts.
The review comes after criticisms of restraint methods following the death of teenagers in custody.
The Independent on Sunday understands that ministers have pushed for the broad review remit despite reservations from civil servants and staff representatives who claim the holds are required.
"Everything is on the table," a senior Ministry of Justice source said of the review, headed by two social services directors, which began work last week.Reuse content